Kenya Panoramic

Kenya Panoramic

Saturday, November 6, 2010

new news.

Hello Friends.

I am halfway through my introductory Swahili lessons, and going to have a conversation with one of my mom's friends who is originally from Kenya. So hopefully she can give me some more pointers about pronunciation and maybe a few more phrases that aren't included in my lessons. So far the longest "conversation" that I can have is... "Excuse me, Good morning, my name is Kate, I am Canadian. Can you help me? How do I get to the museum? Thank you, Goodbye."

pretty cool huh? I'm super pumped about it.

Kyle is almost finished at the farm, and I still have another week and a half in Thompson. I'm keeping busy - I'm subbing, doing another craft sale (13th of Nov.), and babysitting two of the most beautiful children that I know.

The craft sale is our last project in effort to fund-raise before we leave. We are only $318.00 away from our goal, so even if we don't make it, this volunteering experience won't leave us too broke. The craft sale will be at my parents house again, 80 Westwood Drive. I will have ceramics there (pottery - mugs, bowls, vases, etc.), My grandmother (who is awesome) has knitted some great kids stuff, sweaters, mittens, and also has made some crafts.... and my good friend Orla will be selling 1lb bags of the wild rice that her and her husband harvest from a lake up north here. If any of you Thompsonites are out for the Juniper Centre's craft sale, make sure to swing by.

I am speaking in church tomorrow about our trip, and I'm really looking forward to sharing with my church family about our plans.

Around the 17th or so, I'll be going down to Carman / Roland to help Kyle and Eric (Kyle's super-cool roommate) pack up their apartment and get everything ready to go.

How do you pack for being away from home for 4 months?... give me some suggestions of things we might have forgotten to put on the list. I will DEFINITELY remember my malaria pills this time mom, I promise!

Thanks for following our blog everyone! And thank you to everyone who has given us such generous support. We love and appreciate all of you.
-Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment